Google

Little Hooks, pt 2

Elf Doily
After posting about trying out smaller threads, I made a crafting trip to Ben Franklin. What a pleasant trip! I just was looking for a change of pace from the same-old same-old at Michael's, but what I found just made my day.

So what is it you are looking at, above? Well, to jump to the end of my story first, that is the doily I crocheted last night. I used sz. 80 DMC thread and a sz. 14 hook, and used pattern #29 from Patricia Kristofferson's 99 Little Doilies. As you can see, I didn't take time to completely finish it by weaving in the end - I was too excited to share!

And while this is exciting (I thought the smallest hook I could find would be a 12), what I was really thrilled about was finding a Tatting Needle! I have been entranced with needle tatting since my Secret Pal, Lori introduced me to Handy Hands Tatting. I hadn't actually ordered from them, yet, as I am wary of online shipping costs. There was an entire little section of goods from Handy Hands Tatting there at Ben Franklin's! For the exact same cost! Now I can see if I will actually keep with it before committing to an order big enough to make me accept the shipping costs. I also found a book that combined instruction and patterns - for a reasonable $4.

Crocheting hooks and tatting needle Easy Tatting

So, as you can see, I will be busy for a while.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Kate on Sunday, February 11, 2007 @ 11:22 PM

3 Comments:

Blogger Cocoa Cream said...

Wow! That is definitely tiny! I'm still scared to use thread, let alone anything truly dainty like that! It's beautiful...but I do have to ask...what do you do with these itty-bitty doilies? 7:17 PM  

Blogger Kate said...

I have to tell you - I have no idea.

I thought maybe I would make a bigger little doily and put it in one of those acrylic coasters from Michaels, but I don't know what I would do with the coaster! We have plenty of coasters. :-)

My husband asked the same question - but he asks that about doilies in general, too. 12:09 PM  

Blogger Anna said...

That is gorgeous. Ohhhh...that makes me want to get out my size 80 thread right now. I have been dying to try it. Now maybe I will. I also want to learn to tat and I even bought a tatting needle and booklet from Handy Hands. (introduced to me by Lori as well.) Girl, you are inspiring me. 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home